Saturday, October 9, 2010

No more diapers!!!

We have entered into a new phase of the toddler years.....POTTY TRAINING! I attempted to potty train Jacob back during the summer without success. It was so frustrating and overwhelming that I decided to stop for several months. I realized that neither Jacob nor myself were ready so we went back to diapers. We did however keep his potty out and accessible for him to see and sit on when he wanted. We also let him watch his potty dvd "Go Potty Go" which he actually enjoys watching. I had already decided that at some point in October I would try again but was not sure exactly when in October. It was not until this week that I decided the time was right. It was at MOPS on this past Tuesday that I was informed Jacob had told the childcare workers that he was potty trained and wanted to go to the potty with the other kids. They had no clue that he wasn't telling them the truth so they took him and quickly realized he was not trained. (He had also pulled this stunt with some nursery workers at church a few weeks earlier). I decided that day that if he was telling people he was trained then it must be time to start the training. So far it has been a great success. I know we still have a long way to go before he is completely trained but today is day three and we only had 2 accidents and even went out to eat and to a few stores.
I did realize that it is not only very important for the child to be ready but the parent also has to be ready as well. This is a HUGE commitment and takes up a good amount of time. We have practically spent the last three days at home and our day has been scheduled by a timer.
I am so proud of my big boy and the progress he has made in just three days. I can't believe how much he has grown and am a little sad at the same time.

No comments: